Veterans who have disabilities, medical conditions or injuries incurred or aggravated during active military services no matter when or where they served may be eligible to receive tax-free monthly benefits.
To support a claim for service connection, the evidence must show the following:
- You have a current physical or mental disability.
- You had an injury or disease in service or experienced an event in service that caused or aggravated an injury or disease.
- There is a link between your current disability and the event, injury or disease in military service.
If you have any of the following relevant items, you should submit them with your claim:
- Discharge or separation papers (theDD-214or equivalent).
- Service treatment records and supporting statements.
- Private medical provider records and hospital reports.
If you have further questions, contact the Veteran Service Officer (VSO) in Your Area
Click here to find a VSO in your area